Word on the Street 4/12/12
1. Britney Spears has reached an agreement to serve as a judge on Simon Cowell’s “The X Factor” — and the payday is really something to sing about.
The “Womanizer” singer will collect $15 million overall for the gig — approximately $13 million to judge music-industry aspirants alongside Cowell and record executive L.A. Reid, and the rest as a bonus for performing on the show, an individual with knowledge of the deal told TheWrap.
The deal has been agreed upon, but has not yet been signed. Spears is still under a conservatorship following her mid-2000s breakdown, with her father, Jamie Spears, serving as her guardian.
Fox had no comment for TheWrap on this story, and a spokeswoman for “The X Factor” refused to confirm that the show is in talks with Spears. Spears’ manager has not yet returned TheWrap’s call for comment.
As reported exclusively by TheWrap in March, Spears rejected a $10 million offer to judge on the show, and instead was seeking $20 million for the gig.
Read more: The Wrap
(Congrats to Britney…..back in ’06 I wasn’t sure whether she would be alive or not but she’s making big moves for herself. This is a great move for Simon Cowell, whose ratings should go up considering the fact that Britney has one of the biggest followings in the world. Because of Spears’ large salary, expect the final judge to be LeeAnn Rimes because she would come in at a cheap price, $2 million at most – J.K.)
2. George Zimmerman has officially been charged with 2nd Degree murder after shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in a Florida suburb back in February. Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey made the announcement moments ago at a press conference, claiming the charge was filed today. Zimmerman — a community watchman — shot and killed Trayvon on Feb. 26th in Sanford, Florida, but no arrests were made at the time. Zimmerman has consistently maintained he shot Trayvon in self-defense.
Read more: TMZ
(It took long enough but finally one part of justice has been served……..now, he needs to go to jail for a long time to pay for his mistakes. I still don’t understand what led Zimmerman to believe Martin was responsible for robberies that were occurring in his neighborhood if he was coming out of a store with Skittles and Ice Tea. – J.K.)
3. Infamous mass murderer Charles Manson just lost his last real shot at freedom … the parole board just denied his latest request for release.
The hearing took place at Corcoran State Prison in CA…where Manson– who was convicted of 7 murders in 1969 … including Sharon Tate‘s– was previously denied parole 11 times.
Now … at the ripe old age of 77 this is most likely the murderer’s last stand…since his case cannot be heard again for another 15 years … putting him well into his 90s.
Read more: TMZ
(This guy is just a creep!! I don’t understand how he was able to influence his family to commit the murders that they did…….Imagine having to be this guy’s cellmate in prison….. – J.K.)
4. Since “The Game” came back, fans can’t get enough of the drama. So BET is heeding to the call of the people and has renewed the modern soap opera for the sixth season.
The details about the new episodes haven’t yet been revealed, but today, Thursday, at the annual “upfront” sessions, BET will officially make the announcement.
Also, another hit show, “Let’s Stay Together” won the hearts of BET watchers and will be returning for its third season.
Additionally, BET is expected to unveil their hour-long pilot starring Gabrielle Union called “Being Mary Jane.” It’s produced by the lady with the hot hand these days, Mara Brock Akli, and was previously called “Single Black Female.” Also look for an announcement about the sitcom “Young Man On Campus” starring teen actor/singer Jacob Latimore.
Read more: EURWeb
(I’m glad BET has expanded it’s programming from just showing booty-shaking videos to actual original programs that increase the network’s luster. I mean I don’t have a problem with booty-shaking videos but it got pretty boring just watching the same videos come on all day. With that being said, BET’s version of “The Game” is so boring and whack. I still watch every Tuesday night but it’s not the same as when it was on network television but at least BET is trying. – J.K.)
5. A video of a couple resembling the 39-year-old actress, TV host and former Playboy Playmate and the 33-year-old NFL star leaving a Los Angeles restaurant and entering the back seat of a black SUV, driven by another man, was posted on TMZ on Wednesday. McCarthy’s spokesperson had no immediate comment. As of Thursday morning, neither she nor Urlacher have addressed the matter.
In November 2011, McCarthy, who was born near Chicago, said in an interview on the TV show “Access Hollywood” about what she looks for in a man, saying: “I don’t care if they have a big nose. I don’t care if they’re bald. Just really sweet and who’s a perfect reflection of who I am now. They have to have a job. I’d like them to at least be able to buy dinners and stuff like that. That is important.”
Urlacher is bald. McCartney also cited her Chicago upbringing and said “it’s tough to find a man’s man” in Los Angeles, where she lives.
Read more: OTRC
(She is so bad……but she seems like the type of woman who is way too egotistical to date. She humbles herself about her son’s disease but she seems like she probably prefers wearing the pants in a relationship. Don’t ask me how I came to that conclusion though, lol…. – J.K.)