Word on the Street 4/9/12
1. Two sources told WFTV on Monday that gunman George Zimmerman could be arrested this week, and that a Grand Jury will not meet on Tuesday. Zimmerman has been in hiding because of threats, after he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims he shot Martin in self-defense. State Attorney Angela Corey said she will not use a Grand Jury to decide whether Zimmerman will be charged for killing Martin. Meanwhile, lawyers for Zimmerman said if he is not charged, he will speak out.
Read more: WFTV
(It makes no sense why it took so long for this guy to get arrested! Let the courts deal with whether he gets charged or not, but to let him roam freely when a dead man is gone makes absolutely no sense to me! #HoodiesforTrayvon #IamTrayvon We haven’t forgotten about you man. – J.K.)
2. Steve Harvey seems to have all the relationship advice when it comes to women acting like a lady and thinking like a man, however, the follow up book should be titled, ‘Fellas, This is how you treat your woman’.
Steve is obviously ballin’ out of control and he recently splurged those baller bucks on a 25 carat canary yellow diamond ring for his wife Majorie. (Diamonds are obviously his wife’s best friend). During a recent episode of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, Steve and Majorie ran into Nene Leakes in Los Angeles and Nene literally gasped for air once she got a good look at Majorie’s bling. When she inquired about how big the ring was, Majorie told her that the center of the ring was 25 carats to which Nene replied, ‘Majorie, now you know you gotta be like [getting it in the bedroom.]‘.
(So is Majorie thinkin’ like a man to get a 25 carat ring? I guess…..but props to Steve Harvey for reinventing himself from a comedian to a relationship expert, morning radio show host, game show host and movie producer, that’s what we call hustlin’ hard – J.K.)
3. Stick a fork in Lamar Odom … ’cause he’s officially DONE in Dallas. Odom released a statement explaining he will “step away from the team” … effective immediately. He added, “I’m sorry that things didn’t work out better for both of us, but I wish the Mavs’ organization, my teammates and Dallas fans nothing but continued success in the defense of their championship.” According to ESPN, Odom will leave the team ASAP … but he will not be cut. Instead, Odom will be listed as “inactive” for the rest of the season … which means he could still be traded after the season.
Read more: TMZ
(The Lakers were wrong for trading Lamar without letting him know but he’s gotta move on and make good out of his situation. He should’ve taken advantage of playing with Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki and tried his best to compete instead of being unmotivated. I hate that #niggamentality of “I don’t give a damn” when things don’t go your way. – J.K.)
4. With reports Rihanna wants to play Whitney Houston should there ever be a biopic about the legendary singer — Whitney’s daughter, Bobbi Kristina, is telling friends there is only one person that can play that role … HER.
According to our sources, Bobbi feels she is the perfect person to play the part of Whitney … telling friends that no one knew her better. Our sources say BK feels that if Easy E’s son can play him in a movie, she can do it too. So if such a project ever develops, the producers can expect a call from Bobbi Kristina.
Read more: TMZ
(It makes sense, who better to play Whitney Houston than her own daughter who knows Whitney better than everyone else having been with her for all her life? I wish her the best…..just please stay away from the coke Bobbi K…..and shoutout to Tyler Perry for giving her a job. – J.K.)
5. Facebook announced today that it has reached an agreement to acquire Instagram, a fun, popular photo-sharing app for mobile devices.
The total consideration for San Francisco-based Instagram is approximately $1 billion in a combination of cash and shares of Facebook. The transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions, is expected to close later this quarter.
Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, posted about the transaction on his Timeline:
I’m excited to share the news that we’ve agreed to acquire Instagram and that their talented team will be joining Facebook.
For years, we’ve focused on building the best experience for sharing photos with your friends and family. Now, we’ll be able to work even more closely with the Instagram team to also offer the best experiences for sharing beautiful mobile photos with people based on your interests.
Read more: Dealbook
(Are you freaking kiddin’ me? A free app that creates special effects gets bought out by Facebook for $1 billion!!!!!! Why didn’t Twitter buy it? People post more Instagram photos on Twitter than FB!…….also, how the hell is Instagram valued at $1 billion freaking dollars! Not a $1,000…….not a $1,000,000…….not $10,000,000…….$1,000,000,000…..this ish crae! I need to learn how to create an app – J.K.)