Morning Scoop 12/27/11
1. Betty White did the opening for Monday Night Football last night before the Saints blew out the Falcons, here it is:
2. 76ers GUARD LOU WILLIAMS APPROACHED BY A GUNMAN (Philly.com) —
While stopped in his car in Manayunk on Christmas Eve, Sixers guard Lou Williams was approached by a man with a gun. The situation was deflated when the gunman recognized Williams and commended him for his work in the community. Williams said he treated the man to a meal at a local fast food restaurant by giving him some money.
“A guy tried to rob me but decided not to because of whatever I do in the community,” said Williams. “He’s a Lou Williams fan, so he didn’t rob me.”
Williams said he was driving in his car when the man approached, knocked on the driver’s window and had a gun drawn.
3. AT&T CEO MISSES OPPORTUNITY TO IMPROVE WIRELESS NETWORK (NY Post) —
Before dropping AT&T’s doomed bid for T-Mobile, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson missed another big opportunity to beef up his company’s wireless network.
In 2009, Stephenson was aware that a group of cable operators was potentially willing to sell a valuable chunk of advanced wireless spectrum that could be used to build out AT&T’s faster 4G network, a source close to AT&T said.
Instead of pursuing that spectrum, or aggressively building out its own service, Stephenson gambled AT&T’s future two years later on a far riskier deal: a $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile USA (which was abandoned after regulatory opposition…..Verizon would later buy the network AT&T had the opportunity to get).
4. BRAZIL WILL OVERTAKE THE UK IN HAVING A BETTER ECONOMY (and they already have better girls, lol) (BBC) —
The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said its latest World Economic League Table showed Asian countries moving up and European countries falling back. The CEBR also predicted that the UK economy would overtake France by 2016. It also said the eurozone economy would shrink 0.6% in 2012 “if the euro problem is solved”, or 2% if it is not. CEBR chief executive Douglas McWilliams told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that Brazil overtaking the UK was part of a growing trend.
5. THAT WORK LEBRON DID WITH HAKEEM IS STARTING TO PAY OFF (@ByTimReynolds) —
6. RAPPER CHARGED WITH SLIM DUNKIN’S DEATH TURNS HIMSELF IN (WXIA) —
The man suspected of shooting rapper Slim Dunkin outside of a southeast Atlanta studio has turned himself in. Vinson Hardimon, who is also known as Young Vito, surrendered to Atlanta Police, late Monday afternoon. Slim Dunkin, was gunned down outside of a music studio as he was preparing to record a video.
7. SELENA GOMEZ CONFIRMS MISCARRIAGE ON FACEBOOK (Click on the picture below) —
8. NBA RATINGS VERY HIGH (Deadline) —
After a long labor dispute-triggered delay, the NBA season got under way on Christmas Day with 4 televised games on ABC and ESPN and another one on TNT.
The Boston Celtics and New York Knicks on TNT delivered the highest-ever rated Christmas Day NBA game, scoring a 4.1 rating with 5.9 million viewers. Reigning champions the Dallas Mavericks opened the ABC-ESPN quadrupleheader at 2:30 PM ET against the Miami Heat. The game drew a 5.6 overnight rating, up 6% from the comparable 2010 Boston/Orlando game.
9. URBAN DICTIONARY WORD OF THE DAY- camel toe – When her pants are so tight you can read her lips! (If you still don’t get it go to Google images, lol)
10. KIM JONG-UN MEETS WITH SOUTH KOREA (Slate) —
Call him the Great Successor, Outstanding Leader, or Supreme Commander, but it seems Kim Jong-un is on his way establishing himself as North Korea’s head of state.
The son of the late Kim Jong-il met with foreign leaders for the first time this weekend, welcoming two delegations from neighbor and rival South Korea, according to state-run North Korean media. The visiting dignitaries included the chairwoman of Hyundai and the widow of former South Korean president Kim Dae-Jung. Al Jazeera English has video.